Ethical and Environmental Policy
At Sea Dragon Design Ltd we are very aware of how our actions can impact the environment around us therefore we have decided to implement this Ethical and Environmental Policy to ensure that we are an "Ethical Company".
The importance of valuing and respecting each other does not stop at national boundaries. We respect people from all countries and ethnic backgrounds.
We try to make sure that our practices do not have a bad affect on people who live around us and in other countries.
We also aim to make sure that what we do does not harm the environment both in our local areas and across the world.
Sea Dragon Design Ltd is a small organisation with a limited amount of money but we still feel that we can (and have a responsibility to) make a difference. This is by making sure we spend our money in a responsible way as well as raising awareness of global / humanitarian / environmental issues in our local communities.
We believe in making changes and challenging things that are wrong. We will do this in a peaceful way and support other organisations that work in a peaceful way.
We will take into account the following issues in all our practices and spending and aim to source all our components from suppliers. These factors form the basis of this policy:
Suppliers And Manufacturers
- Is the producer involved in oppressive regimes (countries or organisations where people do not have access to basic human rights)?
- Workers’ rights – does the producer treat all workers fairly? Are people paid a fair price for what they produce?
- Is the producer involved in irresponsible marketing – e.g. aiming and advertising products that are bad for your health to children, not being very honest about what is in their products?
- Is the producer involved in funding the production and distribution of armaments (weapons)?
- Is the producer involved in other unethical political activity – e.g. promoting racist, sexist or homophobic views? Does the producer treat disabled people equally?
- Does the producer use or promote testing on animals (vivisection)
- Does the producer have an honest ‘against animal testing’ policy
- Is the producer involved in factory farming?
- Does the producer have a bad record in terms of other animal rights?
- Environmental Reporting – what does the producer tell us about their environmental beliefs, practices and policies?
- Pollution – how much damage does the producer cause in terms of pollution?
- Nuclear power – is the producer involved in promoting the use of nuclear power (as opposed to sustainable and clean energies)?
- Is the producer involved in genetic engineering?
The following outlines the minimum standards expected by all our staff and employees:
Whereever possible Sea Dragon Design Ltd will recycle the following items
· Paper / Cardboard
· Aluminium cans
· Computer Components
· Motherboards and other PCI Boards
· Computer Cases
· Other scrap metal
· Printer Cartridges
· Plastic – especially bottles and containers.
Paper Stationery and Producing Literature:
Whenever possible Sea Dragon Design Ltd will buy paper:
- That has a high-recycled content. With a post-consumer waste content greater than 70%.
- That is, totally-chlorine free during production.
- That is sold with an accredited environmental or green label that details emission standards and post consumer waste content.
We will also do our best to reduce paper waste by printing on both sides of paper and using electronic communication whereever possible.
Buying other consumables:
· Are recycled and recyclable. (Or re-chargeable – for example, batteries).
· Are biodegradable. This means that they rot or degrade.
· Are environmentally friendly – containing non-hazardous substances?
· Have minimal packaging – e.g. plastic wrappers and card.
· Are not produced using genetic modifications, intensive farming methods and unethical/environmentally damaging practices?
· Are not tested on animals (Preferably displaying the BUAV Approved symbol).
· Are produced locally (to minimize the environmental impact of being transported for long distances).
· Are produced according to Fair-Trade (Display the FAIRTRADE Mark) and Ethical Trading criteria (Sound Sourcing). This includes tea/coffee/sugar/other refreshments bought for use on Sea Dragon Design Ltd sites and for meetings etc.
· Are produced by companies that meet our ethical / environmental criteria (as outlined in Core Beliefs above).
We wish to reduce our carbon footprint by reducing the amount of travelling that we do. We aim to do this by:
· To reduce reliance on cars (or other motor vehicles) through the reduction in the length and number of these journeys, in particular, journeys where there is just one person in the car.
· To promote the use of alternative means of travel which are more sustainable and environmentally friendly.
· To reduce emissions and encourage the purchase of energy efficient vehicles.
· To encourage work practices which reduce the need to travel.
We aim to do this by promoting alternatives to car (particularly where people do not share car journeys) and plane travel:
· We will provide information regarding local public transport to anyone requesting it.
· We will be understanding of people arriving late because of bus/train delays (and will take into account times of public transport when arranging meetings).
Audio and video Conferencing:
We maximise the use of e-mail and voice mail. We also use conferencing calling (more than 2 people speaking on a phone call at a time). We and are currently looking into the possibility of using audio/video conferencing for some meetings/communications.
Wherever possible we will use remote IT Support software to fix computers remotely without the need to make an un-necessary journey.
There are many ways in which both water use and costs can be reduced. We will make sure that we:
· Fill kettles with enough water for our needs but not to the brim. This will reduce our fuel bills too.
· Use less water by turning the hot tap down, rather than the cold tap up, if we need cooler water.
· Use a plug in the sink and a bowl of water to wash cups and plates rather than washing under the tap over a plughole.
“It is vital that we reduce the amount of energy we consume, both in order to cut down on associated pollution and conserve the world’s natural resources and habitats.” (Friends of the Earth)
Sea Dragon Design Ltd will:
· Switch off lights, computers, photocopiers and other electrical equipment at night. When not in use, enable energy-saving features on all computers and copiers.
· Ensure that lights and non-essential equipment are turned off when not in use.
· Use energy-efficient light bulbs where possible.
· Put the monitor to sleep rather than use screen savers, they often consume more energy.
· Consider energy-efficiency when purchasing new equipment. Give preference to equipment with low power stand-by or sleep features.
· Make sure external doors and windows are draught-proofed where possible.
· Maintain our heating systems regularly.
· Insulate pipe work and hot water tanks where possible.
6. Ethical Companies
We will not undertake work for companies that are considered to be against our core beliefs.
7. Funding Sources:
We will not seek funding from companies or organisations that do not meet our ethical/environmental